In 1926 Commandant Mavrogordato disbanded the two Gendarmeries. Most men affected transferred to either a new British Section or the existing Palestinian section of the Police. The remainder joined a new Corps, the Transjordan Frontier Force.(See Next page)
The British section of the port police was also dispersed. Duff was promoted to Inspector and transferred to Jerusalem. For the next few years, the Northern Division of the Palestine Police attempted without success to battle off-shore crime with only two British Police Officers attached to the port authority and one motor launch.
The British Palestine Police section consisted of five senior officers and 212 other ranks. The entire strength of the Police Force consisted of 114 officers and 1,334 other ranks. Numbers were issued to the British PP of the Force as well as to Palestinians. Arabic symbols being worn on the right and English symbols on the left.(The British Police Officer bearing the number "1" was Sergeant Haman, an ex-Gendarmerie man.) British PPs wore flat caps to distinguish them from Palestinian PPs who wore kalpaks
It seems that gazetted police officers above the rank of inspector could choose whether to wear a flat cap or a kalpak.
The two sections of police worked separately just as the two gendarmeries had done. The British section, planned as a mobile force and be ready to come to the aid of the local police when riots threatened,ws supplied with 'T' model Ford tenders that carried mobile patrols consisting of an N.C.O. and six constables. Gradually patrols were extended to include foot patrols. One of the duties of the patrols was to visit Jewish settlements, checking armouries provided by the government, which would then be sealed, only to be opened if the settlement was attacked. Training of new recruits was designed with riots in mind. Most were barracked at Mount Scopus (the Mount of the Watch,) where the accommodation consisted of a collection of old Army Nissen Huts left over from WW1 which became the Depot and Headquarters of the British section. T.
This British force was reasonably mobile being
Small detachments of about thirty British PP were also stationed at Sarafand, Nablus and Haifa. The Haifa Police were billeted at Bat Galim and dealt with emergencies throughout Northern Palestine.
Luckily for the next two years there was comparatively little rebellion among the Arabs.The major incident that involved the police was a severe earthquake that occurred on 11th. July, 1927. The village of Renah in Galilee was completely obliterated. Many fine buildings in Jerusalem, including the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, were damaged but Nablus was worst hit(See photo on right) hastening its decline. Haifa, which had become a centre for a large number of Jewish settlements, now overtook it in importance.
The Police who carried out rescue work during this catastrophe, received much praise for their efforts.
Next - Transjordan Frontier Force